If you’re in a hurry and just want to find out what the best moissanite testers are, then I’d recommend Presidium Adamas Moissanite Tester as the best.
When I started, I was a total novice and couldn’t tell whether if a diamond was real or a Moissanite. In case you are wondering, a Moissanite is a man-made diamond that is produced through artificial means. They look eerily similar to a genuine diamond and that is why many have difficulty in recognizing them. This usually happens because Moissanite is almost impossible to detect if you aren’t using the proper equipment.
Low-budget diamond testers can give false positives to moissanite because they only test the thermal conductivity of a diamond. You need to perform both an electrical and thermal conductivity test to accurately ascertain the authenticity of a diamond.
I learned the hard way that conventional testers can recognize regular and cheaper synthetic diamonds but moissanite demands a 2 stage testing process. This also got me in trouble at times since buying diamonds is such an expensive and sensitive deal. But it doesn’t mean that you have to go through the same ordeal, no sir not at all.
Keep reading and will learn all about the best 5 Moissanite Testers currently available on the market. With these testers, you will effectively be able to determine the presence of moissanite without problems.
The Top 5 Best Moissanite Testers for 2023 are:
Here are the moissanite testers we’ll be reviewing:
- TECKCO Plus Moissanite Tester
- Diamond Dual Pro Moissanite Tester
- Gemoro Testerossa Moissanite Tester
- SAM by Presidium Moissanite Tester
- Presidium Adamas Moissanite Tester
What exactly are Moissanite Testers?
The first thing that you need to know is that Moissanite is an artificial gemstone that is produced in the United States by Charles & Colvard, Ltd. To the untrained eye, moissanite resembles a diamond completely. In a recent article, we ranked it as the #1 Best Faux Diamond that looks real.
However, there are subtle differences between the two.
The first difference is that a Moissanite is softer than a diamond, it can be scratched easily in comparison to a diamond.
The second difference is that Moissanite has twice the times refractive as a diamond. You’ll notice a Rainbow of color if you look into it, which is a clear sign that the stone is a fake.
So, if you are thinking about buying a diamond then you should know about differentiating between the two, or you will end up wasting money on Moissanite instead of a diamond.
That is why you need an effective method for testing Moissanite. That is where the convenient option of a Moissanite tester seems so appealing. A tester can easily determine whether if a diamond is a real deal or a Moissanite.
How Does a Moissanite Tester Work?
A Moissanite Tester is perhaps the most efficient method for determining the presence of a Moissanite. It does so in a pretty simple way. It uses the principle of electric conductivity to determine whether if a gemstone is a diamond or moissanite.
The moissanite is a conductor of electricity and allows it to pass through its structure undeterred. On the other hand, a diamond isn’t a conductor of electricity.
So, if current flows then you have moissanite in your hands, and if it doesn’t, then you have a diamond.
Seems so simple right?
How to Choose the Best Tester
You should look for the following things before buying a Moissanite Tester:
- Budget: Go for a tester that matches your pocket power and don’t over or underspend in this regard. The Moissanite Testers we reviewed range from $100-$400.
- Brand: Some brands stand out from the rest due to their craftsmanship and reliability. We suggest that you opt for a known and trusted brand when it comes to moissanite testers. Gemoro and Presidium are the top brands to look for.
- Convenience: You want to go for a tester that is comfortable to hold and easy to use. Also, you need one that gives legible and notable indications/readings for various readings. This may include beeps, LED readings, etc.
- Conductivity: Since Electric conductivity allows for testing of moissanite more effectively, make sure you don’t buy a thermal diamond tester.
Here are my picks for the best moissanite testers.
You have come to the right place if you are looking for a Moissanite Tester. The following testers are the best ones out of all the ones I tested Go ahead, have a look, and see which one matches your requirements and preferences.
I put them in order by price, lowest to highest, because they will all do the job, it’s just a matter of the bells-and-whistles you want to add.
1. TECKCO Plus Moissanite Tester (Cheapest)
This Moissanite Tester is relatively new to the market and has yet to attain the level of prominence that it deserves. But make no mistake that this is one of, if not the, best testers that you can get your hands on.
The thing that I liked about this tester is that while it can test diamonds as well, its main and specific task is to detect Moissanite effectively. It can discern between both and evinces a meter that shows whether if the subject under study is a diamond, moissanite, or metal. The point on this tester is incredibly stable and very thin and allows for profound precision on smaller stones.
The thing to like about this tester is that it comes with a built-in metal detector as well. This detector emits a beep when that can be heard easily. While it may be deemed expensive by some, trust me when I say that there is no compromise on quality. This will be money well spent indeed.
- Best for testing Moissanite precisely
- The tip is durable, replaceable, and precise and can be used for testing smaller stones
- You have to keep the tip well supported on the stone if you want to get good readings
2. Diamond Dual Pro Moissanite Tester
This is another multi-tester that has proven to be a huge success when it comes to discerning moissanite from a diamond. There is plenty to love about this product such as its unparalleled electrical conductivity testing capacity. The sleek and comfortable design of this tester is very appealing and the audible signal and LED white lights make using it so very convenient. I recommend it highly because I know that it won’t let you down in the areas that count.
- It allows for accurate testing of Moissanite
- It comes from a highly trusted brand
- The design is sleek and it is comfortable to hold
- There have been complaints about calibration issues with the tester
3. Gemoro Testerossa Moissanite Tester
This is a tester that is, at least for me, highly effective and is available at a price tag that is incredibly fair and affordable. You can get this superb and budget-friendly tester for soundly detecting moissanite. This is one of the most popular and easy-to-use testers on the market. The high level of accuracy that you get with it can hardly be replicated by any other brand. I like that this tester emits a notable “beep” upon discovering a genuine diamond and remains silent otherwise. The tip of this probe is very durable and allows for low conductivity stone identification as well. It doesn’t rely on AAA Alkaline batteries and instead uses a rechargeable battery. This is very convenient in my opinion and the 10-year warranty for the probe’s tip is like icing on the cake.
- Highly accurate reading
- The tip of this tester is very durable and long-lasting
- A very budget-friendly option
- The battery door keeps falling off at times
4. SAM by Presidium Moissanite Tester
This is a testing kit that can do so much more than just detecting moissanite or diamonds. You can also test for silver, gold, and platinum with this testing kit. This tester comes with a precise and effective testing capacity that can make testing the quality of various minerals super easy and effective. It is perhaps one of the fastest and most efficient testers in this category. You will also love the fact that this tester comes with some nifty accessories like a carrying case, metal stone rest, warranty, etc. So, you need not lose any sleep as you won’t end up regretting this purchase.
- Advanced and efficient processing and detecting rates
- This tester is safe and easy to use
- Very efficient and responsive processing
- The stones need to be 100% clean because if they aren’t then the accuracy of this tester drops considerably
5. Presidium Adamas Moissanite Tester (Most Expensive)
If you are looking for a moissanite tester that can efficiently and soundly detect moissanite then this is the one for you. It contains an LED that makes it easy to analyze and read the results. This tester is the best one for you if you want to detect moissanite especially. It is portable and doesn’t require any batteries to run and this greatly facilitates users’ especially those that are new to this business. There are other things to like about this tester as well, such as the addition of a holder for stones, a carrying case, etc. Also, this tester comes from a notable brand so that is pretty great too.
- Accurate and precise testing of moissanite is possible with this device
- It is highly sturdy, durable, and can even be used for testing smaller stones
- The USB Portability is great
- It is a bit expensive
For me, the Presidium Adamas Moissanite Tester is the clear winner as the best moissanite tester. That is because it has all the capabilities and features that you will need and more. It is precise, exceptional in performance, and it the best option if you want to tell a genuine diamond apart from moissanite. It might be expensive but is well worth it as it will not let you down in the areas that matter. Also, if you are a beginner in the field and are prone to making mistakes, then opt for this one without any second thoughts.
So, there you have it, the complete scoop on the Moissanite Testers. I feel that if you were to opt for any one of these options. you’ll be in good shape.