You might have heard of red diamonds, but you may not know exactly what they are. They are somewhat rare.
Many people don’t know that they exist, or they know very little about them. Keep reading to learn more about what red diamonds are!
What is a red diamond?
Most of us think of a standard, natural-colored diamond as being a true diamond. In reality, diamonds come in a wide variety of colors. Yellow is the most popular of all colored diamonds.
Red diamonds are the rarest type of colored diamond in the world.
Where are red diamonds found?
Red diamonds are hard to find, and they are not discovered often. They have been found in Africa, Australia, and Brazil.
What gives red diamonds their color?
Red diamonds are made from carbon. This is different than other types of colored diamonds, which might get their colors from nitrogen and other impurities.
When diamonds are in the earth, the pressure and heat of the crust can change their color. For red diamonds, the crystal lattice shifts. When this occurs, the crystal lattice absorbs green light rays.
Are red diamonds real diamonds?
Red diamonds are real diamonds. They simply display a different color than colorless diamonds. Red diamonds have the same mineral makeup as colorless diamonds as well.
Of course, there are fake diamonds of any color or type. It’s important to be aware of this. True red diamonds are real diamonds though.
What do red diamonds represent?
According to Color Meanings, red diamonds represent the following:
- Powerful deeds
How rare are red diamonds?
It is believed that there are 20 to 30 red diamonds in the world. They are the rarest of all types of colored diamonds.
There are other options for red diamonds too. You can buy a red diamond with a modifier, which is another color added. You could also buy a lab-produced red diamond.
How large are red diamonds?
According to the Cape Town Diamond Museum, the largest red diamond is 5.11 carats. It is known as the Moussaieff Red Diamond, which is one of the most famous red diamonds in the world. Most of the other red diamonds in the world are significantly smaller than the Moussaieff Red Diamond.
If you’re looking for a large red diamond, you may not be able to get your hands on one. You should be prepared to pay a steep price too.
How much are they as engagement rings and other jewelry?
If you’re looking for a GIA certified gem without modifiers, you might pay about $850,000 for a single carat. In addition to the high price, they will be hard to find. As mentioned before, truly red diamonds are very rare.
Another option when it comes to purchasing red diamond jewelry is modifiers. These red diamonds have a second color, such as purple. They are priced lower in most cases. Purplish red ones tend to be stunning and more affordable.
Deeper or stronger colors are going to cost more money. Some less expensive and more abundant options that look very similar to red diamonds are:
- Ruby (Best Alternative – Expensive and looks great)
- Enhanced Red Diamonds
- Red Garnet
How should a red diamond be set as an engagement ring?
When you purchase such a beautiful stone, you want to select the right setting. There are a few particular settings that work particularly well with red diamonds. Of course, you can also talk with a jeweler to learn more.
These are the best settings for red diamond engagement rings:
- Prong setting
- Three-stone setting
- Ornate halo setting
You want the setting to fit well with the red diamond, but you don’t want it to take away from the diamond’s beauty. A professional jeweler will be happy to help you select the right setting for your needs.
What should be you consider when shopping for a red diamond?
If you are going to buy a red diamond, you should keep a few things in mind. This will ensure that you make the best possible choice.
- Type: Natural red diamonds are the rarer option. Red diamonds can be created in a lab. Through this method, pressure, temperature, irradiation, and annealing are used. It’s not the same as a true, natural red diamond. Be sure you know what you want when you are searching. You might also choose a red diamond with a modifier. These are red diamonds with another color, such as purple.
- Care: Due to the rareness of red diamonds, you will want to take good care of yours. If a red diamond has impurities on it or in it, it cannot keep its composition and color. You will need to follow all of a jeweler’s guidelines.
- Price: It’s important to consider the price of the gem that you’re purchasing. You should shop around and compare prices to become familiar with which gems are real and which are not. This will also help you to decide which size gem you would like.
- Certification: It’s a good idea to look for a GIA (Gem Institute of America) certified gem. This will show you that it’s a true red diamond. You can also ask a jeweler for other types of certifications on the gem.
What are the most famous red diamonds?
Due to the rareness of red diamonds, the known ones are fairly famous. Some of the most famous red diamonds include the following:
- The Moussaieff Red (5.11 carats)
- Hancock Red (.95 carats)
- Argyle Mine (.76 carats)
- The Rob Red (.59 carats)
These red diamonds are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars at auctions. The Moussaieff Red was a part of a Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History exhibit in 2003. According to the Gemological Institute of America, the Hancock Red sold for $880,000 at an auction in 1987.
As you can see, red diamonds are both very rare and valuable. The few that have been discovered cost a lot of money. Because of this, it can be difficult for jewelers to stock them in their stores. Additionally, engagement rings and other jewelry does not usually include red diamonds. Red diamonds are beautiful and unique gems!