You got yourself a pair of earrings or plan on buying a pair. You want to know if the earrings are real diamonds or fake. It’s always good to be able to tell the difference in a real pair of diamond earrings. I want to give a few tips on how to tell if they are real, as well as some other valuable information.
Different Types of Diamond-Realness Testing
There are several different ways to see if a diamond is real and then there are some myths that are false. I want to break down some simple at-home steps below.
The Old Fog Test
The fog test has been around for some time. It has proven correct on several occasions. It is simple and requires little skill or effort and it’s something you can do at home.
Here are the steps:
- Wipe the stone off with a clean rag.
- Hold the stone by the stem of the earring.
- Put the stone in front of your mouth and fog the diamond, like you would glass or a mirror.
The Results Should Be:
- The diamond should not fog up.
- If fog does appear it should dissipate in a matter of seconds.
- This should occur every time you try this test.
- If they do fog up, then your diamond earrings may be fake.
A Jewelers Loupe Works Amazingly Well!
A jeweler’s loop has been around a long time too. It has been able to detect real diamonds for ages. The only issue using this test is that you must know what you are looking for and this test is more so a back up to other tests. You can buy a Jewelers loupe for under $20.
Things to Look For:
- Imperfections. Almost every diamond has them.
- Slight color changes.
Things to Note:
- There are some diamonds that do not have imperfections. These are rare. All in all, don’t count your diamond out just yet!
- Lab-Grown diamonds do not have imperfections. They are still diamonds but they are not naturally occurring diamonds.
The Earring Setting Mount Says a Lot.
The earring’s setting mount tells if a diamond is real or not quickly. Think about it. Who would set a natural diamond in a cheap setting mount? No reputable jeweler. That just runs the risk of losing your diamond. With that, check the mount.
Here is How to check the mount:
- A visual stamp indicates if something is gold, silver or platinum.
- They are usually on the stem of the earring.
- If it states CZ, your diamonds are not what you think! They will be Cubic Zirconia.
WikiHow.com tells how to do all three of these steps above to check for real diamonds. It’s worth checking out their website.
Learn more about spotting fake diamonds:
- What are Fake Diamond Rings? (9 Tips to Avoid a Fake)
- How To Tell if a Diamond Earring is Real
- What Types of Fake Diamonds Are There?
- Do Diamond Testers Really Work?
More Professional Testing
You can always take your earrings to a jeweler or even a pawnshop to have them tested. This can take a lot of time if you have a lot of earrings you want to test out. If you plan on testing diamonds more often and want a more reliable source you can try some of these steps below. Always use safety.
Heating the Diamond
You can try heating up the stone. If it is fake it will shatter. This can be dangerous so make sure you use all the proper safety gear, and no one is around to get injured.
Here is How:
- Heat the stone for 40 seconds using a set of needle-nose pliers, fire safe gloves, and a propane torch
- Drop the stone in cold water.
- A diamond will not shatter. Diamonds are the strongest material on earth and will not break under the pressure of heat and expansion as with glass or other materials.
Using A Thermal Conductivity Probe
This is a bigger word for meter really. It is used to determine the thermal conductivity of the gem. Diamonds disperse heat effectively. When using this meter, it can quickly tell if the gem is a genuine diamond or not. This requires you to be a professional to use though. It is the most effective.
Examination Under a Microscope
Testing a gem under a microscope takes a lot of skill and practice. This is a great tool to learn if you plan on handling diamonds a lot. At a magnification of 1200x, you can see all the imperfections and little details that real diamonds carry.
Some Final Thoughts on the Matter.
Every diamond is unique, and each carries its own flaws. They are a beautiful gem that can be easily identified with the right information and the right tools. Make sure you do all your research and before long you will be able to spot a real diamond set of earrings with ease.
If you can see clearly through the Diamond, it’s fake…
I have another article on spotting fake diamonds that has valuable information which I think may interest you if you desire to do further research. I also, linked a great video here, that I think may help give you some visual effects on how to test a diamond earring. Thanks for reading. Remember its always the thought that counts, unless you’re selling them.
Learn More about Buying Earrings:
- How Much Should Diamond Stud Earrings Cost?
- When is the Best Time to Buy Diamond Stud Earrings?
- How Big Should Diamond Stud Earrings Be?
- How To Tell if a Diamond Earring is Real
- The 26 Most Popular Types of Earrings and Earring Styles For Women
- The 6 Different Diamond Earring Settings and Mounting Styles
- Hypoallergenic Earrings: Buying Guide and Common Questions
- What Types of Earrings are Best for Sensitive Ears?
- What is the Best Cut for Diamond Earrings?